Amy & Eros in Alaska

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

...And we're up again

Eros here...

So today the students were fine. Yes they miss the 7 that are gone, but tonight was clan night and my clan had a great time. My co-RM has a cousin that runs a bed and breakfast here and he let us use it to cook dinner for them tonight. So I made some souvlaki and she just made some spaghetti. It was great though, the place is up in the mountains above Fairbanks, it's called the Grand View B&B and it certainly has a grand view of the valley where Fairbanks sits. They also had a hot tub which we dangled our feet in. They just had a great time exploring this huge house. If you go to the website, you'll see what I mean, this place is huge! So a quick plug...if you're ever in Fairbanks, stay here. It's kind of odd that such a small thing as a new big house could get them so excited, but it's so new and special to them that it does. Plus, on the way back I let them all say 2 cuss words so they were letting loose with the f-bombs and such. It was pretty funny. I know I'm old because I don't understand teenagers. Such small things give them such joy, and then when we try and get them to do something big and fun...they're bored. Oh well...now here's Amy...

My clan night was really good too, even though 3 of the 7 kicked out were from my clan, so we were a pretty small group. We took them to the Large Animal Research Center up in the woods, where the university has a herd of musk ox and a bunch of caribou. It was pretty neat. Then we took them all downtown to have Thai food, which was very successful. Seriously, it was better Thai than I've ever had in Chicago. Then we walked down to the riverwalk and hung out by a big fountain, where the girls were practcicing their native dance moves and getting stared at by tourists and town drunks (creepy - they followed us for a little bit. I felt like a mom who had a perv leering at her daughters).

Earlier today I got made fun of by the cafeteria workers because they were watching me and another RM in the yard running around trying to catch grasshoppers for my birdie. He is alive and well by the way, and has this cute little thing where he flutters his wings when he wants a grasshopper head. Precious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home