Amy & Eros in Alaska

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Those gyrating, lying, puking youngsters.

Eros's long day (friday)...

My day started at 5:45am to a banging on my door. One of my students, let's call him Jonas, felt nauseous. They had mid-terms on friday and I know he hadn't studied much so I just figured he was faking it to get out of the test. So I gave him some pepto and we let him sleep in the nurse's office. At around 6:45, he started throwing up, hard. He had asked to go to the hospital before, but I didn't want to go there if he was faking. But at this point, he wasn't faking. So we went over to the clinic where he puked another 6 times, twice on the way, and 4 times in the office. They figured he just had a virus and that he should take some stuff to keep him from puking and drink fluids. At this point, Jonas said that this happens to him when the weather changes and that they should just put him on an IV. But the physician's assistant (PA), who was seeing him didn't want to do that right away. So he injected him with the anti-nausea stuff, and then gave me a prescription for some suppositories because he couldn't keep anything down. Jonas didn't know what a suppository was and when I explained it to him, he wasn't too thrilled with the idea (surprise, surprise). But we were both hoping that the first dose that was injected would do the trick and that he wouldn't have to do the deed (and for a while I thought I might have to).

We got back to the dorm (he puked along the way) and he rested in his room. He tried drinking some gatorade, but everytime he did, he puked. So after he started puking blood, I decided that maybe it was time for the IV drip. So back in the shuttle bus (that's all we have, so I had to drag one person around town in this thing) to the clinic. This time we went to a different clinic that was specifically for Alaskan Natives. It's actually a pretty cool place that is named after the chief that was able to secure land from the government and take care of the Native populace. If you're interested in a little Alaskan Native history, his name is Chief Andrew Isaac. He was a pretty cool guy. One of the things I'm finding as we're up here is that I know jack squat about this group of people. Hell, I don't even know anything about the indians that were in the midwest. They were really screwed by the government. Alright, enough about that...we went to the clinic where he puked up some more blood (about 4-5 times) and they put him on an IV. They also gave us the anti-nausea drug, both rectal and oral, for him to take at night. He was a bit worried about it. We got back and he slept for about an hour and then woke up hungry and feeling pretty good. He puked twice, but after that, he started eating like a mad man and kept it down. So in the end, he didn't have to do any inserting in that area. It was still pretty scary for a while there. I don't know if any of you have seen puked up blood, it isn't pretty. It kind of looks like coffee grounds...very gross.

After that, there was a dance that we put on for the students because they just finished mid-terms. So we had to chaperone. So basically we were making sure nobody was getting too freaky with each other. Nobody got freaky with each other, but they definitely got a little freaky! I mean these girls were gyrating and pulsing...I felt old because I just kept thinking that no daughter of mine is ever leaving the house without her bodyguard. I guess for now I can just be glad that I don't have any daugters.

After the dance, there was some more fun...after we called lights out we discovered that one of the boys was missing. We all saw him come in the building so we knew he had to be here. He's dating one of the girls so I immedietly went to her room, went inside and asked where he was. She said that she didn't know. Then I check the room and didn't see him. So all 12 RM's searched everyone's room, all the bathrooms, hallways, kitchens, everything. In the end, he was in his girlfriend's room. He wasn't found until the 3rd time it was checked. He was in a corner under some blankets. So that was bad news because after he got a talking to by our boss, he came out crying. We don't know what's happening yet, but it won't be good. It's all fun up here folks, let me tell you. I'm especially pissed off because I trusted his girlfriend. She's in my clan and I didn't think she'd lie to me like that. I guess I gave the teenagers too much credit and they're all just lying, cheating, brats. Is that right all the parents out there? I mean there are good times where we talk and they're funny and I think we're on the same level, but in the end, I'm just a old guy who can be decieved. I always thought I was smarter than that...I'm sure I'll learn some day.

So now my day ends, at 1:19am...I'm going to sleep.

Amy now:
Eros about covered it. But now I have to go to bed without brushing my teeth because one of my students comes up to me and says, "Amy, did some girl commit suicide in our bathroom? Every time I use the paper towels, I see her behind me in the reflection, and sometimes I see her when I come out of the stalls. Karen sees her too." She was very nonchalant about it, and now I don't want to go into the bathroom alone at night :(

Oh, and the skanks that were gyrating (for the most part) weren't even students. They were staff members for the other camp, and it wasn't pretty.

Update on the happy couple that was found lying: they're not getting kicked out of the program, which is good because I like them, even though they're dirty liars.

2 Comments:

At 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even the best kid will lie to cover another kid's ass. They feel they have to to be cool. Don't take it personally, Eros. As far as the puking up blood kid goes, "whoa," did you say this happens to him every time the weather changes? It sounds like you handled it very well. Good job.

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, Eros. It sucks to realize we're grown-ups huh? They don't trust me either and I look like them :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home